Permission to Enroll at Another Institution
If a current Maryland student wishes to take a course at another institution, and have that course and its credits transfer back into Maryland, that student is required to submit a “Permission to Enroll” (PTE) form. By having the course approved, the student (1) assures the credit will absolutely be counted toward graduation at Maryland and (2) will have evidence of permission from Maryland to take the course. Sometimes, especially in Maryland Community Colleges, those institutions will require this approval in order for students to register. Typically, courses are taken during the summer or winter terms.
For students who wish to enroll in courses at another institution during the same semester that they are taking courses at Maryland ("concurrently"), they must also ask for an additional “Exception to Policy” in addition to submitting the PTE form. See directions below:
Permission to take courses elsewhere (but not taking a course at UMD at the same time):
- Complete the LTSC Permission to Enroll Form Cover Sheet (To be attached to online PTE Form).
- Save file, open it with Adobe Acrobat Reader and then type answers directly into the form.
- Note: Document is in Portable Document Format (PDF) which requires Adobe Acrobat Reader, download now.
- Go to the Student User Guide for the online PTE Form.
Permission to take courses elsewhere (AND taking a course at UMD at the same time):
- Complete steps #1 and #2 above.
- Complete an Exception to Academic Policy request for "concurrent enrollment".
- Both the PTE form and the Exception to Academic policy request need to be submitted and approved before you will be allowed to take the course at another institution.