Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

1. Can I meet with an advisor prior to orientation?
Students meet with an advisor for the first time and register for classes when they attend a mandatory orientation session. If you have general advising questions prior to orientation email, For more information about orientation or to register for an orientation session click here.

2. How many of my credits transfer in?
No more than 60 community college credits-or a combination of 90 from both two- and four-year institutions-are applicable to a degree here. An exception may be made in programs requiring more than 120 credits for graduation. (In any case, your final 30 credits must be earned at the University of Maryland, College Park to earn a Maryland diploma.) All admitted students have access to their preliminary transcript evaluation found at the following link:

3. Some of my courses have not been evaluated. How do I get credit for these?
Courses not listed in the Transfer Credit Services database ( have yet to be evaluated. You can request that courses be evaluated. The procedure is as follows: Send an email with your name, UID, institution name, course ID, course title, and syllabi to

4. How long will it take me to graduate?
You may view academic plans for UMD majors and compare your preliminary transcript evaluation with major requirements to get a sense of where you are in the major, additional course options at your current institution and how long it may take to graduate: Official degree audits are conducted by the advising department once a student has declared a degree-granting major.

5. I was denied LEP admission but I plan to finish up the gateway requirements before starting at UMD.
Click here and select either option 1 or 2 under "I have been admitted to the University and was denied admission to my LEP".

6. I would like to take a class during the summer/winter before I start at UMD.
Sometimes, especially in Maryland Community Colleges, those institutions will require this approval in order for students to register. At UMD this is called Permission to Enroll at Another Institution. Current UMD students are required to submit a Permission to Enroll (PTE) form to their advising department. Newly admitted students interested in taking a class at another institution prior to the first day of classes at UMD, do not need to submit a PTE form.