Interim Advising Program Students
The Interim Advising Program (IAP) allows students that transfer to Maryland with 60 or more credits, who are interested in a Limited Enrollment Program (LEP), to meet any outstanding requirements towards those majors and apply for admission. IAP students are assigned to a program coordinator who will help them to identify what requirements they have left to complete for their intended LEP as well as help them to select an alternative major. IAP students are allowed to remain in Letters and Sciences for up to two semesters before having to declare a major.
Advising Requirements: IAP students are on mandatory advising during the two semesters they are in the program. Because of their early registration date, IAP students are strongly encouraged to schedule their advising appointment early in the semester. IAP students are required to complete and submit the following:
- Sign an advising agreement at orientation. To view the advising agreement click here.
Complete 1 mandatory advising appointments per semester
- Complete and submit a Two Semester Plan. Your registration block will not be lifted unless your plan is completed fully and correctly, is received and approved. You should allow 3-5 business days for a plan to be approved. If you are under CORE. If you are under GenEd .
- Complete an Exploration Activity. This will be determined by your advisor during the first appointment.
IAP students have two semesters to meet admission requirements for the LEP major of their choice. At the end of the two-semester period, IAP students must either gain acceptance into the LEP major or declare an alternate non-LEP major.
Advising Appointments: Appointments should be made with your assigned advisor. Schedule an appointment. If you do not know who your advisor is contact LTSC at 301-314-8418. If you are a newly admitted IAP student, you can meet with an IAP advisor through IAP Walk-in advising. Check the LTSC calendar for upcoming dates and times of IAP Walk-in advising hours. You can reach the IAP Coordinator at email@example.com.
Note: documents in Portable Document Format (PDF) require an up to date version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Limited Enrollment Program Majors
Limited Enrollment Programs (LEP) are majors at the University of Maryland that control enrollment and require students to meet specific admissions requirements such as gateway courses and grade point averages. The University's current LEP programs are as follow:
- Buisness (Accounting, Finance, General Business, Information Systems, International Business, Supply Chain Management, Marketing, Operations Management)
- Biological Sciences, Biochemistry and Chemistry, and Biodiversity and Conservation
- Computer Sciences (begining Fall 2019)
- Criminology & Criminal Justice
- Government & Politics
For more information on LEP majors visit: www.lep.umd.edu. Please note that Business is a competitive admissions programs.
For more information on Events and Resources for transfer students.